Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cranberry chocolate oatmeal cookies

Cranberry chocolate oatmeal cookies
I originally saw this recipe at the Grocery Shrink and pinned it to my Sweets board. I decided they would be perfect as a neighborly gift for Christmas. I have never done this before, but I think it will be fun for the kids and me to drop off cookies, a Christmas card, and an invitation to the Messiah performances at church this weekend. Ethan is singing in the children's choir, and I'm the principal second violin. (There is no better way to spend the first weekend in December than delivering three performances of Handel's Messiah. LOVE IT! You can't say this doesn't move you. I love it when the timpani comes in! Always makes me cry with the majesty of it. Then again, I am pregnant.)

 Back to the cookies...  Angela's original recipe is pretty healthy, but I took it a step further and replaced the white sugar with Truvia, according to the conversion chart I found. That is my current favorite sugar substitute. I left the brown sugar in. If you compare the photos of my cookies with hers, you'll see that mine look more like balls and hers flattened out a bit. I assume that is due to the different chemical properties of sugar and Truvia.

As for the rest of the recipe, I followed it closely, other than usually regular oats. I had a hard time chopping frozen cranberries, so I gave up and put them in the food processor. A blender would probably work fine, too. I found that the cookies were best and retained a nice chewiness when they were cooked for only 10 minutes. Could be my oven or might be the changes I made in the recipe. My version is below:

In a large mixing bowl, blend together the following ingredients:
1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup white sugar or 12 packets Truvia
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk

In a separate bowl, mix together the following ingredients: 
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups wheat flour
2 cups oats

Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and then add the following:
2 cups chopped frozen fresh cranberries
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Drop by teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden around the edges. Cool on a rack.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hi Erin, just popping over from the Grocery Shrink :). Great post. I chopped my cranberries in a non-electric food chopper, similar to the one pampered chef makes. I agree, it's really difficult to do with a knife since the berries are hard and roll around.

I hadn't thought of using truvia. You were smart to only replace part of the sugar since the sugar/fat ratio is what creates the texture of a cookie.

They look lovely.