Sunday, February 11, 2018

RSBC 2018: Week 1

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for RSBC 2018- Run*Swim*Bike*Cook: Ironman meets Iron chef! (cue the swoopy lights)

It has been 10 years since the first RSBC, as Christy (my former roommate and current sister-in-law) reminded us, although I didn't actively participate until 2012. It's fun to look back at 2008 and remember life and see how much has changed and how much is the same. 

In 2008, I was an apartment manager in Glendale, married to a full-time grad student with a long commute to school. He was the bishop of our ward, and I was the ward budget consultant. We had two little boys, age 2 and 5. I was tired and happy. 



From 2008, 5 things I love: 
  • Surprises
  • Making plans, even if they never happen (it's called a plan of the moment)
  • The world as the sun is just coming up
  • Live chamber music
  • New beginnings

In 2018, I live in a house with a yard deep in the heart of Texas. That full-time grad student has a PhD and is on faculty at UTSA, has a 7 minute commute to work, and is NOT the bishop of our ward. We have two boys, two girls, and a dog!  I'm the stake Primary president and a violin teacher/wedding musician. I go to bed a lot earlier than I did in 2008, AND I do not usually get woken up in the night. I was happy then, and I feel more happy now. I still love the five things I listed in 2008.



Enough reminiscing. I believe this is the first year that I'm doing all three athletic activities! Here's my mileage progress: 

Swimming: 0.6 miles  (out of 2.4)

Running: 4.7 miles (out of 26.2)

Biking: 8.4 miles (out of 112)

For the cooking, in 2018, I've been cooking more adventurous things than in recent years. Last week, my adventure was to try making Chicken Tikka Masala and Aloo Gobi. I had visited a small local grocery last fall to attempt some other Indian recipes, so I already had a good garam masala and ghee. I've also made my own ghee which I used up in kitcheree (recipe comes from Patricia at Radiant Living Ayurveda). I need to return to that little grocery and get some fenugreek leaves and see what a difference they make in the chicken tikka masala. 

I was very happy with the way both recipes turned out. Sorry, no pictures. We ate it too fast :) 

1 comment:

Kara said...

Love this, Erin! Now I’m definitely craving chicken tikka masala