Sunday, April 3, 2011

Caramelized onion, bacon, and spinach pizza


This pizza is YUMMY! I got the recipe from Cooking Light several years ago, and it has maintained its preferred status with nary a peer in sight. I love the flavor and texture combinations. The recipe claims to be inexpensive and made with things you already have, but I do not always have spinach and bacon in my fridge. It's also somewhat labor intensive. No matter. It's worth it every once in a while.



The recipe as listed includes a pizza dough recipe, but you can use any dough recipe you like. My recipe here begins with your dough already almost ready to roll out.

Ingredients for the topping:
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach
2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) sliced onion
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Start by preheating your oven to 475ºF.

In a large pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until it's crisp. Remove the bacon from pan and save  2 teaspoons of the drippings. Add the spinach to the drippings in the pan; sauté 2 minutes or until wilted. Next, transfer the spinach to a colander, pressing until most of the juice has dripped out.

Add onion and 2 teaspoons sugar to pan; cook 12 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. (There are disagreements over the right way to caramelize onions; some people do it without stirring and without sugar. However you like to do it. Just caramelize those onions.) Remove from heat and  cool.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. This will become your pizza sauce. Add the garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 3 tablespoons flour and pepper, stirring with a whisk; cook 30 seconds. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook for 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly with a whisk.

Somewhere in there, maybe while the onions are caramelizing, roll out your pizza crust, transfer it to your baking sheet or pizza stone. Make sure you put down cornmeal BEFORE you put the dough on. Crimp the edges of your crust to make an edge, then spread on the milk mixture. Add your spinach and onion.

Bake at 475° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with bacon and cheese; bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.

Have you tried this pizza? What did you think? What's YOUR favorite pizza recipe or topping?

I'm linking up:

giveawaysHookingupwithHoH

8 comments:

candice said...

Oh, in Egypt this lovely little French Egyptian made this absolutely amazing onion torte, it was divine. It had a nice thin "crust" with caramelized onions decoratively placed on top AND THAT WAS IT. Looking over your recipe , I"m guessing that it is actually pretty similar with the added benefit of spinach and bacon :) Looks delicious!

(you should make it in june, then we can all sample a piece and tell you what a fabulous a cook you are :) )

Stevie @ MooreBabies said...

Wow! This looks fantastic! I LOVE pizza :)
Over here from Handy Man, Crafty Woman

Jen said...

Ohhhh, yum. Like, really, yum! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try this soon! I hope you'll visit my blog sometime, www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

Brittany said...

This looks soo good! I might just have to try it! What dough recipe do you use? Is it the same as Cooking Light uses? Oh, I found you on House of Hepworths ;)

Brittany said...

Yes, actually I did make this! A few of my friends got together and each of us made a bench! I painted it on my own though. Here's the link on my blog from when we made the bench http://brittanyandcameron.blogspot.com/2011/03/diy-benches-and-frames.html

Heather at Dragonfly Designs said...

O.M.G. This sounds so good! Thanks for sharing ~ come by and say hi sometime!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

this looks so yummy! thanks for linking this up to Wicked Awesome Wed!

Danielle said...

Oh yum! Yours does sound like something I'd like. I love white pizzas but I have a hard time convincing my husband. Thanks for sharing this recipe and commenting on mine.