Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Let the composting begin!

There are many, many ways to make a compost bin. After reading in several places about making a compost bin from a huge plastic garbage can, we decided on something a bit smaller, for reasons of cost and convenience.


I started with a hammer, a nail, and a 30 gallon plastic storage bin that I got for under $10 at one of the ever-popular enormous home improvement stores. I picked this one because it was big enough to hold the recommended minimum of 18 gallons of compost. It is also 99% recycled plastic, which makes me feel even more virtuous about starting to compost.




I spent about an hour and a half pounding in the nail, pulling it out, and developing a blister on my finger that was holding the nail. It was very slow work and the holes were not very big. Oxygen is really important for compost, at least, the kind we are doing. My Handsome Husband decided to use my nail holes as guide holes to drill into the bin.


We both liked those results, and so did our little girl.


We put in a good mix of browns and greens: dried leaves, weeds from the lawn, rinsed and crushed egg shells, and banana peels. We also watered the compost with our watering can.


We have a #10 can that we keep in our fridge of compostables that accumulate during the day: apple cores, potato peels, orange peels, onion skins, dryer lint, shredded newspapers, more egg shells, more banana peels ... Every day or so, we empty it into the compost bin and stir it all up with a stick before putting the lid on again.


We are really excited to see how our compost turns out!

EDIT 2/29/2012: For an update on how our compost turned out and what we are doing with it, please visit this newer post.

Do you compost? If so, what do you use as a compost bin? If not, have you considered it?

10 comments:

candice said...

Wow, super awesome. Very impressive. One question, doesn't the dryer lint have some sort of chemical residual from the detergent you use to launder with? I guess it is organic material, which anything can be, i also never would have thought about using newspaper for composting, mainly because of the ink on it---but then again, my concept of composting is pretty limited. I've always just thought of it as a great way to do something productive with kitchen waste (since you don't have any pigs...yet :) ). Best of luck, keep us posted!

Danielle said...

that's great! I've been wanting to do this for a long time. When we get our own place again, than for sure will be giving this method a try.

Talyn said...

Candice, the ink on our local newspaper is soy based. I'm sure a little digging around could tell you what yours is.

Heather@The Black's Best said...

This is a great idea. I haven't wanted to put out the money for the more expensive version! Just FYI...I've heard that weeds in the compost bin will result in weeds wherever you apply your compost in the garden because the seeds remain. :( I will give this a try though! Thanks for sharing.

Mama Pea Pod said...

Hi Erin, this looks like a great project! Thanks for dropping by Mama Pea Pod! The party was really fun, and yes, we do have the best mommy-baby group ever! I'll be writing a post about why it's so fabulous sometime soon :-) Hope to 'see' you again!

Nichole @ Barillafab4.blogspot.com said...

I made one last fall, same way & love it ! :)

http://barillafab4.blogspot.com/2010/11/compost.html

Emily {WhipperBerry} said...

Wonderful! I hope all goes well. Thanks for linking up!

Robyn :) said...

OMG!! I have been thinking about composting lately and this is perfect. I had read about the big garbage can way and looked at a composter at Menards but it was $100! I think I can definitely handle this one.

Tiffiny said...

I've been trying to figure out a better way of composting for my family (our last method got pretty messy). I think I've found my new solution. Thanks!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Thanks for sharing; I've been wanting to do this, too, but wasn't sure how to do it at a low cost.