Monday, October 7, 2013

Ack! Grocery budget blown!

Last week, I posted about making a fresh start. One of the areas I'm focusing on this month is menu planning. I've written about it before many times, but one of my favorite posts is here.

In the last month, I've been a haphazard cook and an impulse grocery buyer. Our family spent $1180 on food last month!!!! When I saw that, I took a deep breath and told myself, "It is time to get a grip and plan some meals!"

Here is the breakdown:
$961 on groceries ($518 at Costco)
$83 on school lunches (how did this happen? I thought the boys were taking lunch at least half the time.)
$138 on eating out (although $20 was for a groupon that we haven't used yet)

I did plan meals for last week. It was a baby step in the right direction. So far, for the month, we have spent $105 on groceries, $31 on school lunches, and $45 on dining.

I will be back tomorrow with my meals for the week. I am waiting to see what my produce box contains before I commit to meals, but I'm thinking of stirfry, acorn squash soup with bacon and kale, and tacos.

I am dreaming of stirfry this week!


No comments: