Monday, September 30, 2013

Easy homestyle mashed potatoes


My kids, especially my boys, love mashed potatoes! I have moved to using red potatoes all the time because I don't have to peel them - just scrub and cut. I like to use a pressure cooker to make them because it's fast, but it would be fine to boil them, too.

My latest experiment involved throwing in half a cauliflower with the potatoes in the pressure cooker. It was a roaring success that made me wonder why I waited so long.  My boys now ask, "Are these cauliflower mashed potatoes?" and then gobble them down without caring to wait for the answer.

Hearty Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower 
7-10 large red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters or eighths
1/2 head cauliflower, washed and separated
butter
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder (optional)

Put the potatoes and cauliflower in the pot and boil/steam until soft. (In my pressure cooker, it's 8 minutes once the whistle starts.) Drain the water. Mash the potatoes and cauliflower, adding *butter (I add 1/4 cup), salt and pepper, and a dash of garlic salt if you wish. Devour with your favorite dishes. (Tonight we had them with peas, porkchops, and apple sauce.)

*When I do mashed potatoes without cauliflower, I always add milk and butter, but I find that with the cauliflower, milk makes the texture too thin for my preference.

Are you a veggie hider? Please share your favorite veggie recipes in the comments. 

No comments: