Sunday, March 20, 2011

Easy homemade pitas

My favorite way to eat pitas includes hummus and raw vegies - yummy!

I love bread! In an effort to be more healthy and to save a little money, I have been making more of our bread at home this year. I got a terrific, easy recipe for pitas from The Fresh Loaf, and I've made it several times, always to rave reviews from the kids. Pitas are especially fun to make because they puff up in the oven.


One monster pita

Pitas are great for sandwiches - you can cut them in half and stuff them OR put the filling on the outside and then fold the pita in half. Grill it if you like it hot! We also like using them as individual pizza crusts. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 3 cups flour (try 2 c. whole wheat and 1 cup white OR 2 1/2 cups whole wheat and 1/2 c. gluten - I've done it both ways and like them both)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups water at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil  
Personally, I throw it all in my breadmaker, set it to manual, and then wait for the dough to rise. If you don't have a breadmaker, visit The Fresh Loaf for directions.

When the dough has doubled in size, start preheating the oven to 400 degrees. I cook my pitas on a cookie rack, but you can also use a baking stone or a cookie sheet. If you are using a baking stone, preheat it with the oven.

Punch the dough down to release some of the trapped gases and divide it into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, cover the balls with a damp kitchen towel, and let them rest for 20 minutes. 

After the dough has relaxed for 20 minutes, spread a little flour on your work surface and grab a dough ball. Sprinkle a little bit of flour on top of the dough and use a rolling pin or your hands to stretch and flatten the dough to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.

Put your pitas on your baking surface, as many as will fit, and bake! They should be done and puffy after 3-5 minutes. If you like them crispy, you can leave them in a little longer.

What's YOUR favorite way to eat a pita? I'd love to hear about it in the comments.




No comments: