Wednesday, April 4, 2018

A God of Miracles

Written in April 2010 for One Eternal Round
A few years ago, it was not uncommon for me to feel beaten down. As the mother of two preschool boys, it seemed like the dishes and the laundry were never done, and the house was always messy. My husband was in grad school and was also serving as the bishop.  I was lonely, I was tired, and I was grouchy. I worried that my bad temper would have lasting negative effects on my family. One day, I opened my scriptures and read Alma 26. Though I had read this chapter many times, verses 26 and 27 had a new meaning to me, and I read them with my own interpretation:
“But behold, my beloved, we came into the wilderness of parenthood not with the intent to destroy our children, but with the intent that perhaps we might teach them and love them and prepare them for their life missions.  Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said, Go amongst thy children, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.”
Reading those verses connected me to Him. I knew that He knew my struggles and frustrations. I felt less alone in my efforts as a mother.  My short fuse became a little longer, at least for that day. It was a small miracle.
It always amazes me that God knows me and is aware of my needs and wants. Last Friday, I lost my keys and looked EVERYWHERE for them. I looked again on Saturday; I looked again on Sunday. On Sunday evening, after our marriage and family class at church, my husband inadvertently locked HIS keys in the car. There we were, stuck  – mom, dad, 2 boys, and an infant in a car seat with no stroller. We could have walked home, but we had no way to get in to our apartment. We’re the apartment managers, and our friend with a spare key was out of town. Outside in the parking lot, my husband prepared to call roadside assistance to break in to the car and retrieve the keys.  Inside the church, I put down the diaper bag and decided to look again, taking things out. Here are the wipes, here are the extra sleepers, here are the diapers, here is my planner, HERE ARE MY KEYS!!!! I shrieked with delight and ran out to the parking lot. My husband had just uttered a silent prayer. We were saved.
I know that sometimes there is no instant miracle. Sometimes things don’t work out right away. People get locked out, become sick, lose jobs, have accidents, ruin relationships, and suffer, but in the end, things work out. I really believe this. Romans 8:28 says it well: “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”
Do you believe in miracles? Please share your stories, if you feel so inclined.

No comments: