Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Whole wheat bread

Yummy homemade wheat bread!

I love bread. My kids and I have enjoyed homemade artisan bread for quite a while. Lately, though, they've been requesting loaf bread, so I asked around and got this recipe from my sister-in-law who got it from a mutual friend. Thanks, Jan!

This recipe is very easy and makes 4 loaves. Here they are ready for the second rise:
The bread looked beautiful and tasted fabulous. We devoured a whole loaf for breakfast this morning. I like it best toasted with butter and honey, but it's also good with a bowl of soup or in a pbj.


Ingredients:
5 cups warm water
1 c dry milk
2 tbsp yeast

Mix, then add:

2 tbsp salt
1/2 c honey
1/2 c shortening (I used 2/3 stick of melted butter because I never buy shortening)

Then the flour
6 c. freshly ground wheat (I used 5 because I didn't have time to grind more)
6 c all purpose flour, enough to make a good bread dough. (I used about 5 1/2)

Knead either by hand or in a mixer for 8 minutes. (I did it by hand.) Let rise once in an oiled bowl, then shape into loaves & rise again. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Do you make bread? Do you have a favorite bread recipe?

No comments: