Friday, December 23, 2011

Mom's Minnestrone Soup



Several people have asked for Mom's Minnestrone Soup recipe since I mentioned it in this week's menu. Alas, when I went to the fridge and pulled out my Italian sausage, it had gone bad. I made Shepherd's Pie for dinner instead. Still, I can share the recipe.

1/2 to 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
1 jalepeno pepper, optional
1 onion, chopped
2-4 celery stalks, chopped
2-4 carrots, sliced
1 clove garlic (or more)
28 oz crushed tomatoes
14 oz diced tomatoes (my own addition)
1 quart (4 cups) water
12 oz (1.5 cups) beef broth
1 T parsley
1 tsp oregeno
1/2 tsp basil
----
1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
green beans (optional)
zucchini (optional)
1/2 tsp sugar
small noodles (optional)

Brown the sausage (remove from the casing and crumble like ground beef). Add the chopped vegetables and garlic. Sauté a few minutes (or not). Add the tomatoes, water, broth, and spices. I never measure the spices, by the way, I just season to taste. Which is liberally:) Simmer all of that for 6 hours.

Then add the sugar, chickpeas, any green vegetables you feel like adding, small noodles, and let simmer for another hour.

Serve topped with romano or parmesan cheese, with a nice hunk of crusty bread on the side. Delicious!

No comments: