Sunday, March 18, 2012

Strawberry crisp

I got a link to this recipe for strawberry bars in a local farmers' market email, and they looked so good that I made them the same day. None of this "pin it", think about it, drool over it, never get around to it! It may have been part of my nesting urges (other posts coming on the amazing things that I got done this weekend).

The original recipe called for some ingredients that I did not have, so I modified it. My version turned out as more of a strawberry crisp, as you can see in the photo.

We ate the whole pan for breakfast (hey! Oatmeal is a breakfast food, right?) on Saturday, and then I made them again on Sunday for dessert following our family dinner. Rave reviews and requests for more!

Ingredients:
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1/4 cup water
2 cups strawberries, thinly sliced (I used frozen strawberries and they worked well. It's easiest to slice them if you let them warm up for a few minutes).
1/4 cup white sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×9 pan or use the butter wrapper.

Cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add flour and baking soda and mix well.
Stir in the oats and the water, by hand.

Spoon and press half of batter into a pan.

In another bowl, mix together the strawberries and white sugar, mashing the berries slightly so that the juice runs.

Spread the berries over the first layer of batter in pan and top with remaining batter.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Remove from oven and serve warm! They would probably be delicious with vanilla ice cream, too, if you need more sweetness in your life:)

No comments: