Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Meatloaf, one to cook and one to freeze


After the rave reviews I got for my meatloaf last Sunday, I decided to make it again. It's fast, it's easy, and this meatloaf is moist. I think the secret is the can of V8. I've also made it with tomato soup before or tomato sauce, but I found this was the most tasty. This recipe is based on my mom's recipe.

Here's the recipe - it makes 2 loaves (I made one to cook tomorrow and one for the freezer):

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
1.5 - 2 cups oatmeal
1 onion, chopped OR 1 package Lipton onion soup OR 1/2 cup dried onions (depending on which one of these you use, you will need to adjust how much salt you put in)
1 can V8
1 egg
salt and pepper, as much as you feel like
several dashes of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
a dash of parsley flakes (optional)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Divide evenly between 2 loaf pans. Bake for 75 minutes. Depending on your beef, you may need to drain the meatloaf when it comes out of the oven. Serve hot!

If you want to freeze one, line your loaf pan with wax paper before putting in the meat mixture. Put it in the freezer for a few hours, then carefully remove it from the pan. Wrap in plastic wrap, then foil, or put in a freezer bag. The night before you want to eat it, unwrap it and put it in the loaf pan. Let it thaw overnight, and then follow the regular cooking instructions.

No comments: